History of Reeves

Reeves Community Center is part of a municipal parks and recreation department. RCC has been in existence since 1951. Mount Airy Parks and Recreation has 18 fulltime employees with 8 of those being in the grounds maintenance division. Funding for Parks and Recreation is provided through participation packages, program fees, City of Mt. Airy, and many individual and corporate donors. 



Historical Milestones


There have been several milestones throughout the history of Reeves. In 1984, Reeves successfully raised over $1,000,000 to renovate the entire facility. In 1995, Reeves raised $450,000 to complete a 45' x 75' state of the art indoor pool. In 1996, Reeves again renovated the facilities to incorporate four new classrooms and a 5,000 square foot multipurpose area. In 2005, Reeves Community Center was incorporated to develop Mount Airy’s first Parks and Recreation Department. Today it continues to serve as the departmental headquarters for the following 5 divisions that make Parks and Recreation: administration, athletics, family services, aquatics, health and wellness, grounds and cemetery maintenance. With all this growth and support, Mount Airy Parks and Recreation continues to be the largest and most diversified department in Surry County.