Stan Farmer, City Manager, is the chief executive officer of the city. This appointee serves at the pleasure of the City Council. The city manager has responsibility for preparing the budget, directing day-to-day operations, and serving as the Council's chief policy advisor. It is the role of the manager to see that the ordinances of the city and the laws of the state are enforced therein and to make such recommendations to the Council concerning the affairs of the city as deemed desirable.
Advisor to the Council
The manager shall strive to keep the Council advised of the financial condition and future needs of the city. The manager shall be responsible to the Council for the proper administration of all affairs of the city placed in the manager's charge by the Council and shall have the power to appoint and remove all officers and employees in the administrative service of the city.
Major functions are:
- Advises the City Board of Commissioners on policy development and implementation
- Provides direction in the resolution of controversial or sensitive issues affecting the city's operation and suggests policies, goals, and objectives for consideration by City Board of Commissioners
- Directs and administers the city's budget by recommending the allocation of funds to each department and outside agencies approved by City Board of Commissioners
- Directs and reviews the preparation of staff reports, program research and related activities in providing City Board of Commissioners information on which to base decisions
- Develops recommendations for new programs for consideration by City Board of Commissioners, and prepares cost justifications, impact statements, and technical reports in support of program developments
- Reviews legislative activity at the federal and state level to determine applicability and effect on the city and advises City Board of Commissioners of potential impact
- Maintains cooperative working relationships with quasi-governmental bodies, local government support groups, citizens, state and federal agencies
- Represents the city at a variety of meetings, conferences, and governmental events at local, state, and federal levels