"Other law enforcement agencies may offer you a job. We want to offer you a career."
The Mount Airy Police Department is a professional and progressive agency. We are committed to providing our community the best service possible. We are a community oriented law enforcement agency. The members of this department are given the encouragement and the opportunity to become better officers through education and training.
Our department is divided into five divisions.
- The Administrative Division which consists of the Command Staff and the administrative personnel.
- The Communications Division which consists of eight communications officers and a communications supervisor.
- The Criminal Investigation Division consisting of four investigators and two narcotics officers.
- The Community Services Division consists of two Community Police Officers and three School Resource Officers.
- Our Patrol Division is divided into four squads. Each squad is staffed by seven patrol officers, which includes supervision and a canine officer. The department also has a fully-equipped and trained Tactical Team.
- We also have five reserve officer positions.
We currently have 12 certified instructors, which includes 8 specialized instructors. We also have 4 traffic crash re-constructionists.
Equipment & Technology
Our department is equipped with state-of-the art equipment and the latest technology. This includes Mobile Data Terminals in every patrol unit for issuing electronic citations, completing electronic traffic crash reports, posting calls for service and for DMV and warrant inquiries. All patrol units have digital mobile cameras and radars. Our Criminal Investigation Division has some of the latest forensic equipment for detection of latent evidence. Our firing range is equipped with computerized moving targets and a combat course.
The City of Mount Airy pays for the employee's health and dental insurance. The city also pays a life insurance policy that is equal to twice the employee's annual salary. Full insurance benefits are offered to the employee for their dependents at a competitive cost. The city also offers an Employee Development/Education Assistance Program. There are 10 paid holidays annually. Employees also accrue vacation and sick leave monthly. The city contributes to the employee's retirement and 401K plans.
In time, every officer will have the opportunity to apply for the Criminal Investigations Division, Community Services, to become a K-9 handler, a traffic crash re-constructionist, a certified law enforcement instructor, or to become a member of the Tactical Team. Training is encouraged and available for officers to prepare them for the goals they set for themselves, whether to become a member of one of these divisions, a member of a specialized unit, or for advancement in rank.
The Mount Airy Police Department is dedicated to recruit people who are interested in belonging to a growing, professional and progressive team oriented law enforcement agency that is committed to providing quality service for the community.
- A citizen of the United States of America
- High School Diploma or GED
- Good moral character and background
- At least 20 years of age
- Attend and successfully complete the NC Basic Law Enforcement Training (Approximately 680 Hours)