Opening a New Business

The Mount Airy Planning Department is glad to assist with the process of opening a new business in our community. All new businesses that plan to begin operation within the City of Mount Airy's zoning jurisdiction (Municipal Limits and Extraterritorial Jurisdiction) must obtain at a minimum a 'Change in Use' zoning permit (PDF) from the City of Mount Airy Planning and Development Department. A 'Change in Use' zoning permit verifies whether or not the new business is a permitted use in the zoning district in which the property lies. It is highly recommended that this permit be obtained prior to purchasing or leasing property for the new business. A sign permit (PDF) must also be approved prior the installation of any signs. The sizes and locations of signs are dependent upon the zoning of the property. Depending on the nature of your new business, other federal, state and local licenses and permits may also be required.

Building Permits

The Surry County Building Inspections Department issues all building related permits. If your business will be located in the City's jurisdiction, please obtain all applicable zoning permits prior to applying for building permits. The Inspections Department is located at 122 Hamby Road Dobson, NC and can be reached at (336) 401-8300.

Mount Airy Fire Department Permits 

Please contact Misty at the  Fire Department at 336-786-3570 or Click Here  for more information on required permits.  The Fire Department will be glad to assist you with your questions.